Monday, March 9, 2009

Automakers and Facebook???

Well, I have been thinking about this (I explain in a second) and my brain is short of ideas.

How can Renault leverage Facebook???

First, I don't think Facebook has caught up in France at the same level of other parts of the world yet. I couldn't find any information that links Renault to Facebook besides the obvious fans pages.

However, I didn't find if any of the US automakers are using Facebook either.

Renault, as well as Peugeot and Citroen, has entered in the digital media world. I guess the idea is to create brand loyalty and provide customers with a more inside view of what the company does.

The only "innovative" way I could think of any automaker leveraging Facebook is to create an app that let you customers retrieve data from his/her car, such as number of miles, when is the next change of oil, tire pressure, and other services. However, you don't really need facebook for this. This could be very well hosted in the company site.

Is there anyway you could think of Renault linking the two (Facebook and Personalize Service Site) in order to take advantage of the Facebook user community and, maybe, incentivize sales??

HELP!

2 comments:

  1. I think your answer can state why social networks (not necessary Facebook) will be important to sustain what Renault does better than anybody else, or what Renault can do better than anybody else in the future. Maybe a good start is to list the areas where Renault leads and then think about the convergence of those competences and social networks.

    I think I heard Renault is leading the electric vehicle industry in Europe and promoting several charging stations throughout the region. So my question would be whether Social Networks can help Renault’s strategy succeed.

    Another idea is what we saw last class. When you are searching for a Renault part across all Renault reps or for a new Renault model at Renault.com are you able to sign in with a Social Network account? If no maybe that would be a creative way to follow up your market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with Andres that Facebook may not be a relevant or logical option for Renault. I think you should ask yourself "What Web 2.0 technologies make sense for Renault's customer base?" Perhaps, creating an online community where Renault users can chat online is the way to go - this would be a stand alone community not affiliated with FB. Also, what about a Renault blog? Have you looked at BMW as a reference point? They are very cutting edge with some of their community-building activities, such as BMW Films.

    ReplyDelete