Friday, March 20, 2009

Two striking news at the end of this week

First one, IBM maybe buying Sun Microsystems. This is very strange to me since IBM has been moving into software and services and we know Sun is mainly a hardware company. In the article they say that IBM wants to leverage Sun servers to sell more services and add some of the software applications (Java, MySQL) to its product offering. To me, it looks more like a monopolistic move to try to erase the benefits HP is getting from the EDS acquisition. 

Second one, Sony partnered with Google to offer content for its digital book reader. I am suprised that Sony made the first move to partner with Google. To me, it would have been more natural to see Amazon partnering with Google. I guess I was wrong. Amazon already has the content, so it doesn't need to partner with anyone. However, Sony is entering yet another battle to fight for a standard (as they did with Betamax and BluRay DVD). By partnering with Google, will they win??

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it seems somewhat illogical for IBM to go back into the hardware space when they have taken many steps to get out of that to more focus on services. Like you said, it may be counteraction to HP's acquisition, but I believe IBM will spread itself too thin by doing this and that it wouldn't be in their best interest. I guess we'll have to see if they will really go through with the deal.

    ReplyDelete