Thursday, March 26, 2009

Moving beyond portals

As I was listening to our team's presentation and the other media group's, I was noting the number of 'portals' mentioned throughout the presentations. TV portals, movie portals, user generated video portals, news portals. The value in having these portals is clear, I don't need to go to 20 sites to watch user generated videos, just YouTube. But, if I want news, time to move on to the news portal, and if I want tech news, well, time to go to the tech news portal, and so on... This seems highly inefficient.

I may just be getting back to our discussion on Google News and customizing the articles by choosing your source of choice, etc, but there must be a better way to do it than visit 10 portals, 3 different types of aggregaters, and a dozen other random sites I visit.

Maybe there are solutions out there already that I am unaware of, or maybe all I'm looking for here is some kind of hybrid mix of RSS feeds and mashups with many content types, but if had a way to customize a mix of content and different types of sources (video, audio, news, etc) to a central location there would definitely be some value there.

Anyhow, just thinking out loud here...

No comments:

Post a Comment