Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Memo to Renault CEO

I have chosen (being asked) to write to the CEO of Renault. Actually, I do feel very pasionate about cars, specially racing cars and that's why Renault was one of my options. I have a pretty good understanding of the company, since I used to live in France and saw first hand how important the brand is to french people. (kind of GM to Americans)

Anyways, I think it would be interesting to learn more about the operations of the company and how do they use technology to create competitive advantage.

For the moment I would like to focus on how do they bring technology born in the Formula 1 and put it on their commercial vehicles. However, I think this is a little to limiting in scope and I will look more into IT strategies as a whole too.

Another aspect I would like to analyse is how do they differentiate from competitors. For example, The PSA Group (Citroen and Peugeot) is one of their biggest competitors, but they use the Rally circuits instead of formula 1 to develop their technology. A question I ask is: Is the technology developed in Rally more adaptable to commercial cars than that developed in Formula 1? Is Formula 1 more futuristic and long term and puts the company in a better position for the long term??

I might look into the American car makers, but I won't promise anything :-)

Any comments??

3 comments:

  1. Given your passion for Formula 1, I think this will be a great project for you, Antonio! I think the comparison between the different car makers and how they use technology to improve performance would be imperative to future success of Renault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antonio - I think you are right that it would be too limiting to focus on how Renault can migrate technology from its Formula One cars to its commercial vehicles, mostly because the needs of a race car driver and the needs of a private motorist are quite different. Look at something like GPS - its extremely useful to the everyday driver but not that useful to a racer. If you are looking for technologies that will add value for the driver, another approach might be to start by focusing on the needs of the driver and then think about how they can be better met with technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for your comments.

    Matt, you raise a good point. F1 technology might not have a direct translation to day-to-day driver needs. However, there are other aspects, like security, that do have a direct impact to commercial vehicles.

    Also, engine and chassis efficiency in order to reduce consumption and even oil-less technology could come from the F1 (or Rally for that matter)

    ReplyDelete